Friday 5 March 2010

Physiological experiment at Lanchester University

Some time back I got an email from a scientist at Lanchester University. He was looking for freediving volunteers for his current physiology project, involving cardiovascular regulation and control by breathing. After learning a little about the experiments and the hypothesis, I booked my flight for Friday 26th February. I was gonna be a test bunny :)


The whole set-up was very professionel, and the tests were all non-invasive. The only thing I had to do was lying still and at times hold my breath. After being all wired up of course! The responsible for the experiment had even learned "blow-tap-talk" in order to wake up any blackout victims (although it's very hard to push that far on dry land...).


It was a fun experience, and it's always interesting to learn more about what happens in the body during breath hold. We had some interesting discussions, and I'm very glad I took the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment