Monday 20 April 2009

New pb and hammerhead shark!

The day started with a very nice and relaxed 50m dive, which boosted my confidence. The equalizing works well so far and my body is getting used to the pressure again. It can only go deeper from here.

I decided to take a little rest while the others did some dives, and try a CNF dive. My pb and NR in this disciplin was set two years (!) ago to 25m, and it was really time to break it. I set the line to 30m, took the fin off and put the noseclip on.

On the first try, I completly lost track of the thin line. You don't see much without a mask and really have to focus to keep going down straight. I also got problems with the noseclip, started swallowing air instead of pushing it out to my ears. Turn around and try again! I had promised Martin a pb this day, and wasn't gonna go out of the water without one.

I went down again, focusing only on keeping the air in the right place and following the line. I swam down to about 25m and then falling the last bit down to 30. The way back up was a joy, even though I could feel my arms. It felt much better that I had expected and I know I have much more in me!

If the good dives were not enough, we had the pleasure of seeing this beautifull hammerhead shark in the Blue Hole! It was swimming in between our lines, followed by a group of amazed freedivers, before it found the way back out to the big ocean again.
Big thanks to Alex (shark photographer!) for the pictures.

2 comments:

  1. With joy I'm reading your story Elisabeth. Yes I think you've got it right to have a 'shallower' and 'simpler' dive to build up routine, balance and confidence.

    Since you're already taking a 'mouth fill' way before 30m, how deep can you go without it?
    I'm sure there are many more experienced people out there, but I prefer to have mine late, @ 40m. This way I have plenty of air at any depths and beyond I've been, and more air in mouth, while my thought is blocked by the pressure makes for easy equalisation.
    You know I wear a sphera and don't pack and fall down head relaxed tucked in with one hand on my nose (maybe this is going to replaced by a noseclip). I carry no weights.

    Anyway cool story, nice to read your rediscovering your self confidence and depth abilities, I wish I was there! much better than being ill here, like I am at the moment :(

    Nice photo's too! they really help to get a feeling for the situation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trond Kristoffersen21 April 2009 at 19:54

    Gratulerer med pb! Antar haien ikke var ute til lunch? Veldig godt å se at kroppen fungerer som den skal. Stå på videre!

    ReplyDelete