Friday 30 May 2008

113m in DNF: new national record!

My first dive at Aarhus Triple Challenge went surprisingly well. I was competing in dynamic without fins, a diciplin that I hadn't seriously persued since the world championship in July 2007. I had only been doing one 75m dive at training and a little technique, so there was no big expectations.

15 min before my official top I was gonna do my warm up, which is just a couple of 25m dives to get the water feeling. I then realized I had brought the wrong neck weight, a 1,5kg instead of the usual 2,5kg! This brought me some stress as I knew that with one kilo less weight, I was way to positiv in the water to do any proper diving.

Luckily Daan had a 2,5kg neck weight laying around, and the problem was thereby quickly solved. I tried it out a single time, then sat on the edge of the pool to start breathing up. I had promissed myself to focus on only one thing for this dive: to relax. Not to worry about any meters or records or ranking at all. And it worked!

Once I was diving, everything became silent and slow. I convinced myself, meter by meter, that in fact, I could do a little more. At the turn on 100m, I thought: "Hey, it would be fun to do a new personal best." So I kept swimming untill I was sure I had passed 106m (from March 2007), and came up on 113m with a clean surface protocol and a big smile :)

3 comments:

  1. Svært god start på konkurransen, Elisabeth. Gratulerer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulation ! I saw your apnea and your exit. Wouaou !You were very fresh and clean !! It's a very nice national record ! Francine Kreiss (France)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats my girl. Really too bad I could not be there and whach you.

    Looks like you are not going away from a competition without one national record these days. Whats nex? CNF...? ;)

    ReplyDelete